Tenant FAQs2019-02-25T21:02:50+00:00

Tenant FAQs

Have a question? We’ve got you covered. Before you reach out to our office with a question, check below to see if we can answer it right now!

What maintenance am I responsible for?2018-09-21T21:19:08+00:00

We’re glad you asked! Most of our tenants do an amazing job at helping keep their home in great shape. Common sense is a great guideline when thinking about which items you are responsible for. The best thing you can do is promptly report all leaking water, electrical, A/C, heat and appliance issues.

Tenants are responsible for using the apartment and its systems in a reasonable and safe manner. You will need to change out lightbulbs (tip: take the old one to the store so you can get a direct replacement) and keep working batteries in the smoke detectors.

How do I submit a maintenance request?2018-10-19T19:42:39+00:00

Something not quite right? Let us know by submitting a maintenance request online through the ‘Tenant Services’ tab or by clicking here.

What maintenance does RES perform?2018-09-28T15:45:34+00:00

We are committed to keeping your unit in good repair. Appliances do break, plumbing issues do occur, and when they do we will respond as promptly as possible. We will be your first point of contact for issues. We are able to handle most issues that arise, however there are some items which we will contract out with reputable third party companies. Having a maintenance issue? Submit a maintenance request here.

My drain is clogged or running slow. What do I do?2018-09-28T15:45:02+00:00

The best way to prevent a slow or clogged drain is to be aware of what your putting in the drain. Do not put down any fats, oils, greases, trash, bones, hard items, hair, etc. Those items are best put in the trash can for disposal. If your drain is slow, try removing any visible blockage and you can also try plunging the drain to restore flow. If this doesn’t work, please submit a maintenance request here. Please do not use drain cleaning solutions as these can damage drain lines.

My food waste disposal won’t work. What do I do?2018-09-28T15:39:42+00:00

Food waste disposals are designed to dispose of small soft foods only, please do not put any fats, oils, greases, trash, bones, etc into a food waste disposal. If your food waste disposal won’t work, please try the following…

  1. Turn the wall switch off.
  2. Check to see if there is something in the drain jamming the disposal
  3. Use an allen (hex key) wrench on the bottom of the disposal to free up blades
  4. Press the red reset bottom on the bottom of the disposal

If this doesn’t work, submit a maintenance request here. Tenants may responsible for the cost of repairing disposals, unless due to a defect in the equipment.

The toilet is clogged or overflowing. What do I do?2018-09-28T15:46:50+00:00

If the toilet is overflowing, look around the base of the toilet and locate the water supply shut off knob. Turn knob to stop the water flow to toilet. Plunge the toilet (may take several attempts). Turn knob again to start water flow. If that doesn’t work, submit a maintenance request here

Be sure and clean up any water that might have leaked onto the floor. Remember that toilet paper is the only acceptable paper product to be flushed through the toilet. Do not flush any disposable diapers, wipes, sanitary napkins, cotton swabs, etc.

Water is coming up from the drain! What do I do?2018-09-28T15:54:47+00:00

If you find that water is coming up from the floor drain or sink or tub drain. Immediately call the office at 515-268-5485 daytime or after hours for maintenance. There is most likely a clog somewhere in the line that requires clearing.

When is rent due?2018-09-28T15:53:58+00:00

Rent is always due on the first day of the month. Many tenants choose to set up automatic payments using the Online Portal here. Doing so is a great way to avoid any missed or forgotten payments which are subject to late fees. If you wish, you can choose to pay rent early or in advance in bulk.

How do I pay my rent?2018-09-28T16:04:17+00:00

We offer several ways for you to pay rent. Most tenants will pay online using their Online Portal here. Through the Online Portal you can set up automatic payments. Of course you can always mail/drop off your rent to our office. Be sure and label your money order or check with your address and unit number. Payments can be made out to RES Properties. If you wish to pay with cash, please make time to come to our office during office hours and we will write you a receipt. Remember, rent is always due on the first of the month.

I’m locked out of my unit, what do I do?2018-09-28T16:03:48+00:00

If we’re open, swing by during business hours and we can check out a temporary spare key (if you lost your key, a replacement key can be purchased) so you can get into your unit. If this happens after hours, we can dispatch a technician to unlock the door, a fee will apply for after hour calls. If you wish, you can call a locksmith at your own expense.

My neighbors are playing loud music late at night. What do you suggest?2018-09-28T16:07:20+00:00

As a first step, many tenants have been successful in talking with the neighbor. Often times they are unaware that their music can be heard in adjacent units and they will adjust their volume down. If the behavior continues, contact our office and we can work directly with the unit. In some cases, it may be necessary to contact the Ames Police as they are best suited to respond. 

Can I get a pet?2018-09-28T16:08:05+00:00

Many of our properties are pet friendly. Contact our office to see if your community allows pets.

Don’t see your questions in this list?

Reach out to our office at 515.268.5485 or [email protected]!